Globetrotters in Chester
- Ken Waldie – Le Langhe Italy: An Enchanting Place
Having been a walk leader for a travel company for more than a decade prompted his involvement in photography. He has developed this interest and publishes books using photographic images, poetry and text to illuminate specific periods in history. The intended effect of this multi-discipline approach is to enhance the reader’s experience, facilitating speculation on the past lives of people at particular points in time and space.
- John and Nikki – Cuba
Nikki and John talk about their 2014 trip to Cuba where they explore the Islands revolutionary
history and its modern yet vibrant Caribbean culture.
Traveling across the breadth of the country their talk encompasses:
- In Havana traveling in 1950’s American cars and watching children play baseball under rusting streetlights.
- In the countryside, trekking and sleeping out in the jungle and climbing to Fidel’s secret rebel hideout in the mountains.
- Exploring underground caverns, nuclear shelters, sugar loaf mountains and sun drenched beaches.
- Che Guevara’s Mausoleum, The Bay of pigs and the Hotel Nacional, built by the Mafia.
With present changes to the relationship with America, it’s important to take a snapshot of a country which faces, inevitably, massive cultural change.
Doors open 1pm for 1:30pm Start till 4:30pm Entrance Fee £3.00 includes refreshments and two talks Grosvenor Museum 25-27 Grosvenor Street, CH12DD
Enquiries to Hanna tel: 01244383392 or Angela tel: 01244 629930